It’s no secret that dry skin feels itchy, flaky, tight, and uncomfortable, but what you may not know is that herbal remedies are one of the fastest, easiest fixes. Whether your problem is chronic, seasonal, or occasional, you’ll find these remedies can be varied to fit almost any lifestyle and severity of condition. While you treat the symptoms, sometimes simple steps like drinking more water, taking cooler showers, and reducing exposure to the elements can nourish dehydrated cells.
Chamomile Milk Bath
YIELD: 1 CUP
STORAGE: AIRTIGHT CONTAINER
TIME: 15 MINUTES
There’s a reason milk baths have been used for generations to soften and smooth the body. This particular blend goes one step further by easing itchiness thanks to a concentrated dose of chamomile.
1 cup full-fat powdered milk
24 drops chamomile essential oil
- Fill the bathtub with warm water.
- In an airtight container, stir to combine the powdered milk and chamomile essential oil.
- Add 1 cup of milk bath to the bathtub and swish until dissolved.
- Spend at least 15 minutes soaking in the tub.
- When you are finished, pat yourself dry. Follow up with your favorite lotion, paying special attention to areas of dry, problem skin.
- Use once or twice weekly. Store in a cool, dry place.
Geranium Sugar Scrub
YIELD: 6 OUNCES
STORAGE: GLASS JAR OR RESEALABLE PLASTIC CONTAINER
TIME: 5 MINUTES
With geranium, raw honey, and rich almond oil to nourish and moisturize skin, this smoothing scrub also contains sugar to gently exfoliate. If you don’t have geranium essential oil, it’s not a deal breaker. Try lavender, rosemary, or peppermint instead.
6 tablespoons dark brown sugar 2 ounces almond oil
1 ounce raw honey
6 drops geranium essential oil
- In a glass jar, add the dark brown sugar, almond oil, and raw honey. Stir gently to combine.
- Add the geranium essential oil and stir again.
- Cap tightly with a lid.
- The almond oil will eventually rise back to the top of the mixture, which is normal. Before showering, mix the sugar scrub with your fingers.
- Scoop out a tablespoon or so and apply it to your dry skin, rubbing gently while making circular motions.
- Once you have scrubbed, turn on the water and rinse yourself well, continuing to use light circular motions to buff your skin.
- When you emerge, pat yourself dry with a soft towel and apply a moisturizer all over. Store in a cool, dry place.