Body odor isn’t exactly the sexiest topic, especially when you’re looking for a safe alternative to deodorants with harmful ingredients you can’t pronounce. These completely natural, easy-to-prep DIY options take away the riskiness of trial and error (plus the anxiety of going sans protection) because they’ve been vetted by centuries of proven use.
Lavender–Witch Hazel Freshening Wipes
YIELD: 20 WIPES
STORAGE: GLASS JAR
TIME: 5 MINUTES
Freshen up between showers, post-gym, or before a stressful meeting with handy wipes that kill bacteria in an instant. You can buy a bag of cotton cosmetic pads at your local Walgreens or supermarket for dirt cheap, and you’ll use them to make the wipes in this recipe. Both the lavender and witch hazel stop stink fast.
1⁄2 cup alcohol-free witch hazel extract 20 drops lavender essential oil
20 cotton cosmetic pads
- In a glass jar, combine the witch hazel extract and lavender essential oil.
- Swirl the jar for about 30 seconds to combine the ingredients.
- Stack the cosmetic pads in the jar.
- Cap tightly with a lid and shake it gently to ensure all the pads are soaked with the solution.
- Swab underarms and other smelly areas as needed.
Package a few of these wipes to go by placing them in a plastic storage bag with a secure zip top.
Rosemary Deodorant Bar
YIELD: ABOUT 11⁄2 CUPS
STORAGE: TIN OR PLASTIC STORAGE CONTAINER
TIME: 30 MINUTES
Rosemary and tea tree essential oils stop bacteria production like pros. This fragrant deodorant bar won’t stop the sweat, but it will keep you smelling naturally fresh.
3 tablespoons grated beeswax 2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon shea butter
2 tablespoons baking soda
2 tablespoons cornstarch
15 drops rosemary essential oil 15 drops tea tree essential oil
- In a small double boiler, melt the beeswax and coconut oil together.
- Add the shea butter, stirring constantly until all the ingredients have liquefied.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a large bowl.
- Add the baking soda, cornstarch, and rosemary and tea tree essential oils. Blend with a whisk or fork.
- Harden at room temperature for 3 hours before use.
- Rub a small amount of the deodorant onto your underarm area. Apply after your daily bath or shower. Keep in a cool, dry place.
If you happen to have an old deodorant container, you can repurpose it to contain this blend.